Friday, November 22, 2013

Ellie Jane and the beginning of Ellie's Bells

My name is Ellie Jane.  I was born on November 7th at 7:07 pm and my mom instantly said to herself, "This little girl is going to be a lucky little baby!"  I came quickly into the world on a cold Fall day nineteen years ago.  I was excited to go home and meet my older brother Zac.  He and I became instant friends.  Five weeks after I was born, I started having seizures.  Doctors were unable to tell my mom and dad what was happening to me.  I continued to develop slowly during my first year of life because of the seizure medications that I was on.  However, I had a bright smile and I loved to laugh.  I was such a great little baby girl.

After I turned one years old, the seizures that I had continually been having took a turn for the worse. I went to the hospital for yet another EEG and without getting too technical, the doctors told my parents that I had infantile spasms -- what a big word for a little baby!  Within two weeks, everything that I had worked so hard to do as a baby slipped away.  I quit moving, laughing, responding and smiling.  My seizures got worse and the doctor visits and tests increased.

My mom and dad and big brother were so sad.

Now I am nineteen years old.  I am still unable to do many things.  I rely on my family for my care.  They love me and I love them.

I whispered to my mother's heart a few years ago to begin Ellie's Bells.  Since many of my hospital stays have revolved around the holidays, I wanted to give something to others who are staying in hospitals during the holidays as well. Since I am unable to move my feet very much on my own, my circulation isn't the best and I am known to always have cold toes.  I love warm and fuzzy socks on my feet so I thought I would give warm socks to others to make their toes happy.  I have pinned on an Ellie Bell to let you hear the beautiful sounds of Christmas.

I hope an Ellie Bell will make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment